Related Posts with Thumbnails

Secret Recipes and Hummus







We all have our secret recipes. Recipes that we are proud of, that we offer to bring to get togethers, and that everyone adores and coos over. After the party is over the bowl has been scraped clean and everyone is asking - nay begging- for your recipe. Naturally you are flattered that everyone has loved it so much to not only finish it all but to beg for the recipe, and you begin sharing the recipe with everyone.


Except when it is a secret recipe. When it is a secret recipe you hesitate. You know you should share the recipe, I mean, its only the right thing to do. But damn it, sometimes I feel like keeping it all for myself!I've been reflecting back on this lately, and realized I have no idea why I don't like to share. Maybe the 'share with your friends' idea that we were taught as kids didn't quite sink in all the way for me. It's odd for most recipes I would love to share, but for a few, a select few, I don't like to share.



Thousands of dollars funding my education in political science has helped me self-diagnose myself as a 'realist' who believes in 'zero-sum gain', as in they feel like only one person can win while everyone else loses. (See mom?! I AM learning =D ) However, that too is ridiculous since it makes no sense when it comes to sharing recipes for chocolate cupcakes!

So, I have concluded that I am probably insane, and like most insane people I need to rehabilitate back into normal society. To do so I have decided to start sharing my 'secret recipes' with you all, slowly but surely, so that I can get over this disease of mine.

Especially since it seems that when I share my secret recipes everyone else seems to love them as much as I do! (For example my cinnamon bun recipe is one of my 'secret recipes' and is probably in the top 3 most viewed posts in my blog of all time!)





Today I am sharing with you my 'secret' but now not so secret hummus recipe. This is amazing. THIS is how hummus is supposed to taste like. Not that icky liquidy consistency stuff you get packaged at the deli aisle of your grocery store, and the thick stuff canned down the specialty foods aisle. Hummus should have a perfect in between consistency, and a hummus snob like myself can taste the lemon, garlic, and tahini in it! I don't know what the best part about this recipe is, that it is SO easy to make, or that it produces a perfect taste/consistency each time?

Tips: Make sure to follow the recipe to a T and it should be awesome. If you are like me and are daring to experiment, make it as suggested and add extra lemon or olive oil if its a bit stiff for your taste or chickpeas to thicken it up (though its easier to thin than to thicken! so be careful! :) )

**I also prefer mine with a bit more garlic so feel free to add em as you like!





The Best Hummus You Will Ever Eat

1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp olive oil
2 or 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp ground cumin ( I have never had this on hand and have thus never used it...but it tastes great without so its ok if you don't use it either)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp hot sauce
1 1/2 cups of canned chick peas, drained and rinsed

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and puree. Place in bowl, sprinkle with paprika, and serve with pita wedges and chopped veggies.



So tell me foodies, what is YOUR secret recipe? Do you love to share? Or are you more like me? ;)

Unknown  – (May 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM)  

I can't wait to try your hummus recipe! You really should get some cumin, it is my favorite spice in the cupboard.

Anonymous –   – (May 19, 2010 at 7:32 PM)  

Your hummus looks great. I've posted my version, too, but I'm intrigued by the addition of hot sauce. I also understand about keeping your secret recipes a secret. I found myself in a conundrum about this when I started my own blog recently. Thanks for posting! :-)

lindentea  – (May 19, 2010 at 8:00 PM)  

I love hummus and yours looks great. My secret to hummus is peeling the chickpeas, I know it may sound crazy but for me, it makes the most delicious hummus and the texture is so silky. :) Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Anonymous –   – (May 20, 2010 at 3:31 AM)  

Sorry to be a jerk, but...it will never be "the best hummus" if you insist on using canned chickpeas.

Jessica  – (May 22, 2010 at 4:08 PM)  

I adore hummus. I stopped buying it in the store when I found out how easy it is to make at home. I am too cheap to buy the canned though...I buy bags and then I have extra that I use on salads, in soups or just freeze. I never knew I loved the nutty taste of chickpeas until I cooked some like that! LOL

I like the idea of adding hot sauce. I will try that next time I make up a big batch. Thanks!

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Amanda  – (May 24, 2010 at 4:11 PM)  

This hummus is amazing! I made it today, (with the addition of a little more olive oil and an extra splash of lemon juice--both to loosen it up a little), and I couldn't stop eating it. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Unknown  – (June 2, 2010 at 6:02 PM)  

Hummus is an absolute favorite of mine, but I cannot imagine making it without cumin. If I could figure out how to include cumin in my smoothies, I probably would. Rethink the cumin. It's necessary.

Kulsum  – (July 13, 2010 at 5:43 AM)  

I would kind of agree with L. I use similar recipe and I know it would taste great without cumin as anything that has tahini always does taste good for me atleast. But cumin adds that mild earthiness to hummus which I SO LOVE~

Anonymous –   – (January 16, 2012 at 6:43 PM)  

This was amazing! I've made hummus a number of times before and I always like it, but WOW! Thanks for sharing!

Sandi M  – (February 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM)  

I'm going to try your recipe because I LOVE hummus and am tired of the high prices. Mine will have cumin in it though. I think cumin is my all time fave spice. You should give it a try.

Lauren Knight  – (February 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM)  

I will try this! I am always tweaking mine, but this looks like a good combination. Oh, and definitely cumin! It is very good for your blood, as well.

Now I'm off to check out your cinnamon bun recipe (which I'll bet isn't so good for the blood, but who the H cares?)

Marji  – (March 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM)  

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I used the Frugal Gourmet's (eeww) recipe but I lost the cookbook and have never been to make it taste the same again and not for want of trying. This recipe tastes like a I remember it should. My only change, I can't buy tahini at the local market, so I keep a jar of sesame paste from the Asian store, it keeps in a cupboard for a long time. It is stronger than tahini, so I just add to taste.

Anonymous –   – (September 16, 2012 at 11:42 PM)  

I made hummus for the first time in my Vitamix blender the other day... wow I've been missing out the stuff tastes great and its good for you! I couldn't find sesame seeds anywhere so I substituted sunflower seeds in its place.. I think it still tasted great!

blohse  – (March 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM)  

What kind of hot sauce do you recommend?

Post a Comment

Random Fun Stuff

Song of the week: Glee Season 2!!

Watching: Criminal Minds season 6 (man! its mind blowing)

Inspirational Quote:

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself"

Random Foodie Fact:

"The world's first chocolate candy was produced in 1828 by Dutch chocolate-maker Conrad J. Van Houten."

Privacy Policy (c) edible-moments 2010

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP