Related Posts with Thumbnails

Exploring Spices




I don’t know about you guys, but I really need to get more spice-savy. As a foodie it seems almost essential, yet its surprising how many foodies don’t know much, if anything about spices! When Penderys contacted me about doing a review on their spices I jumped at the opportunity to learn more. As I was browsing their site and all that they had to offer, I was quite surprised at the vast variety that they had! I had no idea there were SO many different types of spices! From good old fashion allspice to spices I had never even heard of (like CALENDULA).

I’m quickly realizing I need to acquaint myself more with new spices, and find out more about the varieties of the ones I already know about (Vanilla powder sounds amazing- can somebody say fluffy vanilla frosting?) Unfortunately, it seems that they only ship to the US, and I would like to see them expand internationally.

Pendery’s seems to be a lovely ‘family owned’ company. Though their website layout may not be as pretty as some of the others, it sure is user friendly. Their site also goes beyond just selling their product to their customers; they go into detail about how to care for their products, which I really appreciate. Apparently Seeds with high oil content, e.g. Poppy or Sesame, should be refrigerated or frozen, and Colorful spices, eg Paprika, should be refrigerated. Who would have known!

Speaking of Paprika, you guys should really check out their page on paprika – I had never thought that there could be SO many different types – from spanish paprika to Hungarian to Spanish Smoked. Also, if you are running low, be sure to get some now because my next recipe will actually be using some paprika.

Overall, its clear that they have excellent quality products, and a fan base since they are currently celebrating their 139th anniversary!

So tell me fellow bloggers, whats your favorite spice? Mine would definitely have to be garlic powder, I use it in EVERYTHING!

Also, a Question to my readers, are you guys interested in me doing product reviews? What product would you guys like me to review next? :)

Jordan  – (April 4, 2010 at 11:07 AM)  

Cinnamon has to be my favourite spice... obviously because of the buns haha =D

Meg Luby  – (April 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM)  

i love SPICES so, picking just a single spice seems painful but! right now i am on a serious basil kick.

it just grew fresh in my herb garden and i've made it in bruschetta two weekends in a row now and would make it again if only my roommates wouldn't judge me!

but, oh, for the love of spices :)

keep posting, love your blog :)

sincerely, meaghan @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

Sakorarox  – (April 11, 2010 at 11:13 AM)  

oh my! I love herbs! I plan on planting some basil this summer! :D

And I *love* bruschetta! and who cares about judging roommates? ;) EH? lol

and thanks! I love your blog too! :D

Faith  – (April 16, 2010 at 8:51 PM)  

Hello and thanks for stopping by my blog! Spices are a great topic to blog about. I think my favorite spice is cinnamon because it's so delicious in both sweet and savory dishes, but I also love nutmeg and cardamom. I had no idea that some spices should be refrigerated, thanks for the info!

Jennifer  – (April 17, 2010 at 6:34 AM)  

Im a spice girl for sure!!! Always learning! I remember when I found out there were different kinds of cinnamon- my fav. GReat post!! :)

Post a Comment

Random Fun Stuff

Song of the week: Glee Season 2!!

Watching: Criminal Minds season 6 (man! its mind blowing)

Inspirational Quote:

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself"

Random Foodie Fact:

"The world's first chocolate candy was produced in 1828 by Dutch chocolate-maker Conrad J. Van Houten."

Privacy Policy (c) edible-moments 2010

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP